BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Mapping bugs?

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

Mapping bugs?

by jdsh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:40 pm

When I do a post 2000 tetrad search for five counties, the county boundaries fail to show on the zoomable map. They do show on the printable map and they do show on the zoomable map for four counties.

When I switch the zoomable map to street view, there is no corresponding button to switch back to topographic view.

Both are fairly trivial issues, so not worth spending time on fixing unless they are symptomatic of something else.

Jon Shanklin
jdsh

name: Jon Shanklin

Re: Mapping bugs?

by admin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:45 am

Hi Jon,

The four-county limit was an arbitrary restriction. I can't remember what the original reason for it was (possible older versions of the maps crashed or ran out of memory if too many boundaries were plotted). I've increased the limit to 20 counties, it will be interesting to see if that causes any problems.

There probably needs to be a mechanism for the user to turn boundary outlines on and off when viewing zoomable maps. That was less of an issue when a view was constrained to a few counties but if, for example, viewing the whole of England, county boundaries might be irrelevant and just add clutter to the map.

I'm not sure what's happening with street view. At the moment I can't see buttons to enable it. Did you encounter this issue on a mobile or desktop browser? To some extent we are at the mercy of Google and how they implement or change the available standard map controls and it's possible that Google is testing different versions of their software (they sometimes use subsets of users as guinea pigs - so it is quite possible that you are using a different version of the base maps from me).
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: Mapping bugs?

by jdsh » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi Tom,

I'm using Firefox 60.0.2 (32-bit) on a laptop running windows 7. The maps start in topographic view, but once you've switched to streetmap there is no way back.

Jon
jdsh

name: Jon Shanklin

Return to Bugs and suggestions