BSBI Distribution Database > message board

How can I search for blank monads

Any queries about using the BSBI database

How can I search for blank monads

by PWiggins » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:04 pm

I want to find blank monads in a hectad, that is, monads with no records specified to monad or better level.

I can do it via Excel and produce a list of blank monads but even with macros it's a bit laborious.

I can map monad or better data on the DDB and then look for the holes, but not get list directly. I know it's like teacher asking for those pupils who are absent to put their hands up, but is there a way that a DDB search can list those blank monads for me?

Peter
PWiggins

name: Peter Wiggins

Re: How can I search for blank monads

by admin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:36 pm

That's a good analogy :)

It can be done in a somewhat convoluted way, by running a search by Area (e.g. using a vice-county boundary as the starting point) and grouping that search by monad. On it's own that gives a list of all the monads in the county. By joining the search with records (more options => join with subquery) you can get a count of the number of records in each monad (including squares that have no records). Optionally a filter constraint could be set to require 0 records.

The resulting query for VC77 is here:

https://database.bsbi.org/search.php#re ... 57762dedf4

Hopefully that could be a starting point for what you need.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: How can I search for blank monads

by PWiggins » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:28 am

Wow, what service!
I hadn't thought of the search by area and that's neat and precisely what I wanted.
Nothing like as convoluted as Excel!

Peter
PWiggins

name: Peter Wiggins

Return to Help and support