BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Subdivide by validation state query

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

Subdivide by validation state query

by AndyAmphlett » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:58 am

Tom,

this query - https://database.bsbi.org/search.php#re ... aee5b49f3b - is not working as expected. It summarises my own records from 2017, subdivided by validation state. There are 10,840 records, of which 10,837 are Confirmed. But the query returns a value of 12,279 as Confirmed. If I click on that number and run that query, it returns 10,837 records (the correct number).

Thanks,

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Re: Subdivide by validation state query

by AndyAmphlett » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 am

Tom,

The problem with the above query relates to the inclusion of the Recorder name. I used 'Amphlett' as a wild card, ie. not a specific version of my surname. If I select a specific version of my surname the query works correctly. The error is because I sometimes record with my wife or one of my children and the wild card 'Amphlett' must? be counting such records twice.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

by admin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Thanks for reporting this. I've corrected the problem for validation state subdivisions, but I think that some other subdivided queries may still suffer from the same problem, I still need to correct those.

It was, as you suspected, because the same record could match multiple times and the query was counting matches rather than distinct records.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by admin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:43 pm

The remaining counting problems with subdivided queries should all be fixed now.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Return to Bugs and suggestions