BSBI Distribution Database > message board

First record in a vc

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

First record in a vc

by AndyAmphlett » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Tom,

this validation query is returning unexpected results - https://database.bsbi.org/search.php#re ... 82d405c29c. It should return records which are the first for the vc, but some are incorrect, eg. Festuca rubra. Am, I misunderstanding what this query does?

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Re: First record in a vc

by admin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi Andy,

I think that the query is partially working correctly, but is failing to properly take account of other earlier infra-specific taxa when matching at species level.

e.g. results for Quercus cerris, Stellaria palustris are correct (in a loose sense as these two records are county singletons)

but for Raphanus raphanistrum the result is incorrect as there are several earlier records of Raphanus raphanistrum subsp. raphanistrum which are not being taken into account. I've added a bug about this here: https://github.com/BSBI/ddb/issues/43

(there are similar problems with the s.l. groupings, which are not being treated hierarchically)

Because the data-set is newly loaded it's not been annotated with validation markers, so that the records in the returned set are not shown with '1st' indicators. This is quite misleading. Ideally validation markers should be re-cached as soon as data is loaded (this is also a significant issue for newly imported MapMate data, where, if someone checks there new records immediately they won't see any validation markers).
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Return to Bugs and suggestions