BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Downloads

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

Downloads

by welshofficer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:38 am

Would it be possible to make the filename for downloads more informative? I have so many called results.... obviously sometimes I rename them but often I just want to copy part of the contents, sometimes when doing a lot of searches it would really help if they had different names. I appreciate this could be difficult, but even the option to type in the file name when requesting a download could be useful.

Polly
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

Re: Downloads

by admin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi Polly,

This is also something that causes me problems, but I'm not quite sure what the solution is.

Trying to automatically generate a name based on the a description of the query could result in either very long filenames or abridged descriptions that might be quite misleading (depending on how 'clever' the system was for distilling out the significant part of the query description).

I'm not keen to add an input field to the website to take a filename, because this would add yet more complexity and, counter-intuitively, would be awkward to implement because of the way that the default filenames of web downloads are specified (on the server rather than in your browser).

If you haven't already, would it help if you set your web browser to open a prompt for where to save files and what name to use? Web browsers always used to do this, but irritatingly most have stopped now and automatically save everything to a 'Downloads' folder without prompting - you can change that behaviour - allowing you to set the filename to save to.

In Google Chrome go to 'settings' and near the bottom of that page, click 'show advanced settings', scroll down further to 'Downloads' and tick 'ask where to save each file before download'.

In Internet Explorer go to settings => advanced settings => select 'ask me what to do with each download'

That's not really a full solution to the problem, but does make changing the download filename easier.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: Downloads

by welshofficer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:24 pm

It should help - I've changed that setting and I'll see how it works for me for now. I thought it might not be easy. Yes, I've been aware of that change in browsers, and I'll see how I get on like this.

Thanks!
Polly
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

Return to Bugs and suggestions