BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Edit site grid ref

Any queries about using the BSBI database

Edit site grid ref

by vc66 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi, how do I edit a site's grid ref when it is not a Mapmate site? For instance, "Hawthorn Tower" is NZ4446 but should be NZ4445.
thanks,
john
vc66

name: john durkin

Re: Edit site grid ref

by vc66 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:10 pm

I'd like to finish editing these records, so a reply would be greatly appreciated.
vc66

by AndyAmphlett » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:35 pm

John,

if i can be of help?

I take it that you are referring to these records:

http://bsbidb.org.uk/search.php#query=a ... 602fadffe1

You have to be careful with edits of this sort, especially with older records, where you are inevitably second guessing what the original recorder meant, and your modern interpretation may not be correct. But, having said that, there are times when it is appropriate to edit site details etc.

The site name Hawthorn Tower is used by 151 records, and is associated with 9 grid refs in 3 tetrads and in 3 monads. Your suggested correct grid ref, NZ4445, is not used by any of the other records on the DDb. I don't know your vc, but that fact makes me doubtful about the suggested site grid ref edit.

BUT if you do want to make that or similar changes, you need to use the Bulk Edit tools that are available at the bottom of the window having run a DDb query. Where it says 'selected records action' change it to 'bulk edit'. You have to give a reason for the edit.

Hope that helps,

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

by vc66 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 pm

Many thanks Andy. I had misquoted myself, it was NZ4346 that I wanted to change some NZ4446 records to. I've made the changes that I wanted, and it worked fine as per your instructions. I appreciate the need for caution- of my records where grid ref and site name are in conflict, less than 10% are resolvable with any certainty. Its only worth doing for very important sites or for rare species, and, in this case, where you have the original paper survey or equivalent certainty.

regards,
john
vc66

Return to Help and support