BSBI Distribution Database > message board

List of records in a square of taxa not recorded post 1999

Any queries about using the BSBI database

List of records in a square of taxa not recorded post 1999

by jimmcintosh » Thu May 31, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi,

Is there any way to simply produce a list of records of taxa in a (monad, tetrad or hectad) square that have not been recorded in the hectad post 1999. This would be very useful for producing 'missing' lists to hand to folk on recording weeks. I have copied and pasted the lists of species not recorded post 1999 from the Grid Ref Lookup up tool, removed the brackets and their contents, and pasted this species list into a search for that square in the VC. But it is quite a faff, and you have to be careful with hybrids and aggregates, etc.
Is there an easier way?
Cheers,
Jim
jimmcintosh

name: Jim McIntosh

Re: List of records in a square of taxa not recorded post 19

by AndyAmphlett » Thu May 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Jim,

I think this approach works - https://database.bsbi.org/search.php#re ... 0525355428. Make sure that the same hectad ref is entered into both parts of the query. There are still some residual problems with a few agg taxa (with qualifier = MOHagg), being returned when they should not be. Download the results to a spreadsheet and use a text filter on the tetrads field for 'contains' whichever tetrad you are interested in. Suggest you test this some more before relying on the results, but I think it is pretty much ok.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Return to Help and support