BSBI Distribution Database > message board

irreconcilable site name and grid reference

Anything related to particular plant records or other database entries

irreconcilable site name and grid reference

by DMCNEILL » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:22 pm

A record for Anagallis tenella has been uploaded to the DDb with a County Antrim grid reference and H39 label but the site name is in County Donegal. Should I reject the record or is there some way of asking the originator to check the record?
DMCNEILL

name: David McNeill

Re: irreconcilable site name and grid reference

by admin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi David,

Unfortunately the Irish vice-county boundaries currently used by the DDb have some significant mistakes, so it's possible that the record has been miss-assigned to the wrong county.

It may be best to assess the correctness of the record by checking that the given grid-reference is consistent with the named site. That may be a better indication of the recorder's intent than the assigned county number (which could have been added later by a local record centre or during upload to the DDb).

There can be more obscure reasons why record grid-references and placename's do not match - there is a recurring problem where records that were recorded at quadrant (5km) precision have been assigned spurious monad precision grid-references. That sort of error if spotted can be best corrected by editing the affected records.

Please could you reply to this with link to the Anagallis record, as it may be possible to work out what has gone wrong based on the source of the data (right click on the record's Imageicon in the search results list and copy the link url, which should look something like http:// bsbidb.org.uk/object.php?objectid=xxxxxxx&class=RecordInstance...).
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by DMCNEILL » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:28 pm

Tom,

The site name is almost exactly 100km out. I think the most likely thing is that the correct reference should have been B9864838074 instead of C9864838074. However, I wouldn't like to change this myself without some better evidence that this is indeed the case. It would also be good to check if there are further records with the same mistake. The site name is also slightly wrong. It should be McSwyne's Gun.

The link is:

http://bsbidb.org.uk/object.php?objecti ... nchstamp=0

Thank you.
DMCNEILL

by admin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:03 pm

Thanks for posting the link to the record.

Off-by-100km grid-square errors are quite a common mistake. I would expect that it would almost certainly be valid to correct the record by changing 'C' to 'B'.

The record came from MapMate so it's easy to trace others that use the same MapMate site and so share the same error (MapMate defines sites as sitename-gridref-county). To find the other records:

Click on the locality link from the the record.
Near the bottom of the locality details page, follow the Search for records from 'Dunfanaghy, McSwyre's gun' exact match link, which leads to

http://bsbidb.org.uk/search.php#retriev ... bba9f0c1b8
(listing 11 records that use the site)

Because the records came from an active MapMate user (Robin Walls), it would be best to ask him to update the site in his MapMate database and then to resync with the DDb rather than directly editing the records here. I'll send Robin an email linking to this message board topic.
Tom Humphrey
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by DMCNEILL » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:30 pm

Thanks Tom.
DMCNEILL

by RMWalls » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Apologies, looks like my error entering the incorrect grid letter. Now corrected and synched
RMWalls

name: Robin Walls

by DMCNEILL » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:47 pm

As far as I can see, the 11 spurious records have not been deleted following Robin's correction and re-synch.
DMCNEILL

by RMWalls » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:24 am

I've just happened on this conversation and would like to confirm that the whole of my MM database has been reloaded into the DDb. What is more confusing is the dates alongside the posts - 2016 ??
RMWalls

name: Robin Walls

by admin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:44 am

Hi Robin,

This was a discussion from last year. At the time you corrected the records in your MapMate and attempted to resend them, but for whatever reason, that re-sync didn't work.

Your most recent re-sync last month successfully resent the records, which are now correct in the DDb.
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

Return to Records and data