BSBI Distribution Database > message board

records where taxon Calystegia sepium subsp. spectabilis and

Help with searching the database.

records where taxon Calystegia sepium subsp. spectabilis and

by mossysal » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:47 pm

records where taxon Calystegia sepium subsp. spectabilis and vice-county: VC48

A record of this subsp in Merioneth is well-documented in both Stace Ed 3 and Sell & Murrell. but appears to have disappeared from the DDb, as a local botanist has pointed out to me. It is thought to be extinct now [the original record was made by Peter Benoit and IDed by Dick Brummitt in 1962] but surely that is no reason for its deletion from the DDb?
mossysal

name: Sarah Stille

Re: records where taxon Calystegia sepium subsp. spectabilis

by AndyAmphlett » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 am

Running this query - https://database.bsbi.org/search.php#re ... 7939dc9de4 - does not turn up the record either. So it looks like the record has never been on the DDb (though Tom can clarify this). As it is vouched for in the literature, I suggest you add the record (via MapMate) giving full details of the old record.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Re: records where taxon Calystegia sepium subsp. spectabilis

by admin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:09 am

Hi Sarah,

I don't know what has happened to the record, the only record of C. sepium subsp. spectabilis that has ever been in the DDb is an occurrence from Hertfordshire.

The Merioneth record must have been redetermined or deleted in the database at BRC prior to 2011 (when records were first exported to the DDb). I agree with Andy that adding a record to document the old literature report would be useful. Even if later work has invalidated the record (I have no idea if that is the case) then to have a literature report noted and rejected or redetermined is important.

regards,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Return to Search help