BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Salix euxina cf S. x fragilis s.l.

Anything related to particular plant records or other database entries

Salix euxina cf S. x fragilis s.l.

by AndyAmphlett » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:40 am

Hi,

It appears that there is confusion over allocating records to the two taxa Salix euxina and S. x fragilis s.l.. At least for older records I assume these were recorded as S. fragilis. According to MapMate Newsletter 102 the treatment of taxa in this group is:

Therefore these records would be expected to appear on the DDb as S. x fragilis s.l.. But many records appear as S. euxina - table below:

It is striking that almost all VPDB records are S. euxina and almost all MapMate records are S. x fragilis s.l.. This seems dubious, though I make no claims at all to any Salix expertise.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Re: Salix euxina cf S. x fragilis s.l.

by admin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Andy,

There's a mistake with the way that the DDb treats S. fragilis etc. (I misunderstood the note in BSBI news when setting up the synonyms). Hopefully this will be fixed soon. It should for the most part just be matter of changing the synonym redirections - so the error is reversible without editing records.

Thanks for highlighting this (and all the other taxonomic errors that you've post about recently).

regards,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Return to Records and data