BSBI Distribution Database > message board

GR VC Mismatches in Taraxacum & Hieracium datasets

Anything related to particular plant records or other database entries

GR VC Mismatches in Taraxacum & Hieracium datasets

by jimmcintosh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Tom,

I see there are 344 records in 78VCs from the Taraxacum database where the Grid Reference doesn’t match the VC.
https://database.bsbi.org/search.php#retrievesaved=0.358h2&query=ffbe0e150f1fef138184a86324e841d7

And 68 records in 32 VCs where Hieracium records from David McCosh’s Herbarium where the Grid Reference doesn’t match the VC.
https://database.bsbi.org/search.php#retrievesaved=0.358h1&query=9cc9e42b55eb39a50be08c6233813e2e

(Quite a few of these faulty records are in my VC.) How do you recommend we tackle this problem? Ideally the holders of these datasets would investigate and correct if possible?

If that’s not possible, and I make corrections on the DDb for records in my VC will that information get back and update the original database?

Many thanks,
Jim
jimmcintosh

name: Jim McIntosh

Re: GR VC Mismatches in Taraxacum & Hieracium datasets

by AndyAmphlett » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Jim,

DDb users are already editing some of these records within the DDb. You can run a query looking for records 'edited online since import' (via more options > admin).

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Re: GR VC Mismatches in Taraxacum & Hieracium datasets

by admin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Jim,

I think that many of the errors (at least of those that I've noticed) are fairly straightforward geo-referencing problems. Provided that the changes needed are clear and unambiguous then I think it's probably best to go ahead with making corrections to the records in the DDb.

I'll try to ensure that corrections are eventually passed back to the source databases. Practically there isn't a straightforward way to link Taraxacum and Hieracium records back to their origin as the external databases don't have unique record ids that can be tracked. The reverse also applies - if changes are made externally there's no easy way to link them back to the DDb, either way the records will need manually editing in both databases.

regards,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Return to Records and data