BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Maps update

Re: Maps update

by AndyAmphlett » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:21 am

Tom,

further experimenting with the new maps have found two related problems, which happen using both Chrome and IE11. Looking at maps via the Maps Tab (which are impressively quick) if I untick date class bands from the marker style drop down box, a). the grid squares change colour / date class, rather than disappear, which is what some should do. So if i just leave the most recent date class ticked, all records are displayed as post 2010, even though many are from older date classes. And b). when some date classes are unticked, and I zoom in, display creates errors, with record grid squares only partially displaying and not lining up with the base map.

Leaving all date classes ticked and zooming in, the maps behave perfectly.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

by admin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:15 am

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your follow-up post (which I've only just seen - I'd not noticed that the message thread had reach a new page). I'd noticed the missing squares problem, but haven't yet tracked down the cause. I wasn't aware of the mis-labeling of the key - thanks very much for alerting me to that.

The previous problem you reported with the spurious hectad counts should now be fixed.

best wishes,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by admin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:37 am

Tom Humphrey
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by AndyAmphlett » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi Tom,

I have just noted that you can't zoom in to a close view of Shetland. The view 'bounces' back to a different area than that intended. Same effect as you get if try to move map too far into Europe, ie away from GB and Ireland.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

by admin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks for noting this, I've changed the boundaries so that Shetland is fully in range when zoomed in, (and also fixed an equivalent problem in the South for Jersey).

regards,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by AndyAmphlett » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:14 am

Tom,

I have just marked a record of Juncus balticus as 'rejected' for hectad NJ35, but note that this hectad is still shown on the species map as having a single pre-1930 record. If I click on the hectad, and go to view that record, none is returned. This is correct as the record has been rejected. I had assumed that the species maps were created from a 'live' version of the DDb, but maybe that is not the case? Just wondering if this was a bug, or if the maps are only updated at set intervals?

Thanks,

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

by admin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:00 am

Andy,

The stand-alone map pages are re-cached every 24h (at ~ 4am), so the NJ35 marker should disappear tomorrow morning. The previous version of the map pages had a button to force an immediate re-cache of a map, but this was very rarely used and probably created more problems than it solved.

The maps generated from search results are live - so could be used instead if someone urgently needed a revised map based on a recent change.

regards,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

Previous

Return to News