BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Maps update

Maps update

by admin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: Maps update

by AndyAmphlett » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Tom,

the only odd thing i have noted is that when you click on a map (the zoomable one), in the pop-up window, what i take to be the count of GB hectads gives the incorrect figure. The value under GB is the correct number of records as set by any geographic filter, though doesn't actually say that. But I can't work out what the hectad total refers to.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

by admin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks for spotting that! I've made an embarrassingly silly error with the 'distinct hectad' grand-total, adding the number of hectads for each individual date-class, which are obviously not mutually exclusive...

This will hopefully be fixed by tonight, but meanwhile please ignore the 'hectad' totals.

regards,

Tom

Edit: to avoid confusion I've removed the hectad totals until the fix is in place (change visible once the page has been reloaded)
Tom Humphrey
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by jdsh » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Tom,

I'm not seeing any maps at all using Firefox 12.....

Regards, Jon
jdsh

name: Jon Shanklin

by admin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi Jon,

I'll investigate this tomorrow, but at the moment I can't spot any errors in the server log that would explain the problem.

Firefox 12 is now a relatively old version (released around April 2012), the current version is 32. Firefox usually updates itself automatically, but sometimes gets stuck - unless there are particular reasons to stay with your version, then it would probably be worth upgrading to the most recent release - which can be downloaded from https://www.mozilla.org/

It could be difficult to diagnose the problem, as firefox versions change so often (and usually upgrade automatically) maintaining copies of and testing with all the old versions isn't feasible.

regards,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by AndyAmphlett » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:54 am

Tom,

testing just now, and mapping is not displaying correctly using IE11, but is fine using Chrome. In IE11 maps did not display or base map did, but displayed no records. I stick to using Chrome, but another VCR reported problems with IE11 which I have replicated on my PC.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

by admin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:11 am

Hi Andy, Jon,

Thanks very much for your feedback. There was a problem with the way I was detecting compatible browsers and choosing which version of the page to send. Some of the time pages were being loaded with a mixture of old and new scripts.

I had a cookies set in most of the browsers I was using that inadvertently meant that the problem was masked during testing.

Please could you retry and let me know if there are still problems.

regards,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by admin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:23 am

Testing of new maps has now also includes Internet Explorer version 9 (previously only 10 and 11 received the new version).
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by AndyAmphlett » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Tom,

tried maps using IE10 on my work PC. All seems to be working fine now. Will check IE11 when I get home.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

by AndyAmphlett » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:11 am

IE11 is working ok. Using maps via the Maps Tab, it is noticeably slower than Chrome at redrawing base map. There is much flickering of the mouse cursor while the base map image refreshes. Swopping between IE11 and Chrome just now, Chrome is much better, so will stick with that browser.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

Next

Return to News