BSBI Distribution Database > message board

New BSBI Data Entry Guidance

New BSBI Data Entry Guidance

by jimmcintosh » Fri May 02, 2014 11:35 am

We have just published new draft BSBI Guidance on Data Entry and hope that recorders will find it useful. It was originally drafted with MapMate in mind but the same principles apply to any electronic data recording system.

One of the most important points is that (in general) higher resolution grid references should NOT be included in the Comments fields - otherwise you (and ultimately DDB users) will lose the ability to map and analyse at that higher resolution. Grid refs should go in the grid ref field*!

We would welcome your comments and feedback on the draft document.

Jim McIntosh
BSBI Scottish Officer

*Site field in MapMate

Attachment removed - see updated version in following post.
Last edited by jimmcintosh on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmcintosh

name: Jim McIntosh

Re: New BSBI Data Entry Guidance

by jimmcintosh » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:46 am

After the recent Scottish Recorders' Conference in March 2015 where we had a session on the Data Entry, we have updated the BSBI Data Entry Guidance document. Some minor but important and possibly very useful changes.

This is essential reading for all recorders - but particularly those just beginning to digitise their own records. Take a look!

It is entitled "Draft" because we would really welcome your comments and corrections.

Best Wishes,
Jim
BSBI Scottish Officer
Attachments
BSBI Draft Data Entry Guidance Mar 2015v2.pdf
(426.16 KiB) Downloaded 1054 times
jimmcintosh

by berwicks » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Detail of recorders in MapMate
I like to use the comment field. I use it for the Christian name, with just the initials after the surname in the name field. Also for relevant brief biographical details, such as 'SWT staff', 'SNH contractor', 'floreat 1880-1905'. As far as I know no use is made of this data when records are synched to the hub, which is a pity

Michael Braithwaite, 7 June 2016
berwicks

name: Michael Braithwaite

by admin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:10 pm

Michael,

Finding the optimal way to use MapMate party records is problematic because mapmate's database structure doesn't fit closely with the DDb's.

The problem is many (>20%) of mapmate party entries refer to more than one person - which breaks the one-to-one relationship between mapmate and DDb database entries. That said, for the majority of records, where a mapmate party is used to cite only a single individual or organisation then the information from the notes field could be valuable and worth trying to assimilate.

I originally tried to maintain the link closely (in which case the mapmate notes would have stayed connected) but the vast proliferation of duplicate entries forced me to change the design. Technical improvements since then may allow me to review the treatment of MapMate notes. Behind the scenes, the mapmate note fields are stored in the DDb and potentially could be re-incorporated.

Although not a solution for the wider (and useful) metadata that you mention I would definitely encourage people to include full names rather than initials in MapMate records - contrary to earlier guidelines from BSBI and BRC.

Thanks for raising this issue - it is worth reconsidering the current the situation.

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by jimmcintosh » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi,

Here is an amended and updated version of the BSBI Data Entry Guidelines. It addresses the issues raised in the previous posts in this thread about recorder names.

As always feedback warmly welcomed!

Best Wishes,
Jim

BSBI Draft Data Entry Guidance Feb 2017.pdf
(447.49 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
jimmcintosh

by jimmcintosh » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:31 pm

BSBI Draft Data Entry Guidance Mar 2017.pdf
(248.88 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

Hi everyone!

Here is an amended version after feedback on Recorder names and updating the bullets on Status. Take a look!

Best Wishes,
Jim
jimmcintosh

Return to News