BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Problems with the DDb this week (~Tue 3rd December)

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

Problems with the DDb this week (~Tue 3rd December)

by admin » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Dear all,

An update applied to the system on Tuesday inadvertently disabled searching for a large subset of users. The problem has only just been resolved.

I'm sorry for the disruption and inconvenience this will have caused and am very grateful to the user who reported the issue and helped to track down the cause.

Problems of this sort are quite rare, but unfortunately there are likely to be glitches in the future. If you encounter problems then please do let me know (by email, 'phone or on the message board) and don't assume that anyone else will have reported the issue. It's much easier to fix new faults if they're reported straight-away. I don't want your work to be disrupted by computer problems.

I can track many types of system error on the server, but other issues, such as the problem this week left no trace in the log files - so until someone complained I didn't know about the failure (and remained unaware of the full extent, as no-one else reported difficulties).

Thank you for your patience and sorry about the disruption,

best wishes,

Tom

Tom Humphrey

BSBI Database Officer

Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,
Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.

tom.humphrey@bsbi.org

tel 01491 692728

http://www.bsbi.org

BSBI is a registered charity in England and Wales (no. 1152954)
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Return to Bugs and suggestions