BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Rubus mollissimus type locality

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

Rubus mollissimus type locality

by Keith Spurgin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Hello, Not a bug but additional information on the record for Rubus mollissimus listed as:

SS30, vc4, recorder unknown, 1850-1988.

This must be derived from the following report:

'This beautiful plant was found by Mr. [T.R.A.] Briggs in 1885, by the Holsworthy and Thornbury Road, N. Dev.' W.M. Rogers in Journ. Bot. 32: 45 (1894). Type locality associated with the publication of R. mollissimus Rogers.

I don't have MapMate and feel nervous about adding information to the DDb.

With best wishes,

Keith Spurgin
Keith Spurgin

name: Keith Spurgin

Re: Rubus mollissimus type locality

by admin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi Keith,

Thanks for posting about this. I've create a new record for the literature report here:

https://database.bsbi.org/object.php?en ... rdInstance

The reason for that approach, rather than editing the existing, extremely vague, entry is that I can't be absolutely certain that pre-existing record relates to the same occurrence. As a matter of principle it's better to create a new record rather than to add speculative detail to flesh out another record. Even though it would have been 'safe' to do in this instance there are many cases where it's risky to make assumptions, and doing so can, inadvertently be quite destructive.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: Rubus mollissimus type locality

by Keith Spurgin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Thank you Tom,

Absolutely understood.

Best wishes,

Keith
Keith Spurgin

name: Keith Spurgin

Return to Bugs and suggestions