BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Group by bug

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

Group by bug

by jdsh » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:51 pm

Trying to group by taxon name ignoring qualifier generates an error message:
undefinedUnexpected error response: <root><error type="internal">Unrecognized or unimplemented group-by field: 'taxonname'</error><result>failure</result></root>
Jon
jdsh

name: Jon Shanklin

Re: Group by bug

by admin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi Jon,

I'd intentionally removed support for this earlier today and had assumed that the option would also have disappeared from the user-interface - but browser caching may have caused it to persist temporarily.

I felt that this type of grouping was likely to be misleading and confusing, merging aggregates with strict taxa makes it difficult to interpret what the grouping means. In general it's better to use the alternative option, "Taxon name (including qualifier and authority)".

If I've overlooked something and there's a good reason to retain the option then I could add it back.

The range of taxon grouping options was becoming too complex and, given that I plan to add sub-options to 'species' grouping to control how aggregates and micro-species are treated, it seemed sensible to get rid of the poorly-conceived plain taxon name grouping.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by admin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 pm

There are problems with who much of the taxon grouping works in the DDb (with the exception of the new species grouping options that will be available soon):

Taxa are not properly aggregated by hierarchy, so that, given a set of occurrences recorded as:

Stellaria media agg.
Stellaria neglecta
Stellaria neglecta var. elizabethae

grouping these by taxon will give

Screenshot 2018-02-21 17.25.31.png
Screenshot 2018-02-21 17.25.31.png (9.2 KiB) Viewed 4717 times

At the moment this remains unfixed as I'm worried that the query overhead would be too great if resolved properly and also it's not clear whether double-counting results is desirable (column totals could no longer be calculated simplistically).
Tom Humphrey
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by admin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:25 am

I've changed my mind about dropping the single column 'taxon name' grouping option and have added this back, but now including the qualifier. That should address some of the objections I raised in my first reply, but retains the usefulness of only having a single column for taxon.
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

Return to Bugs and suggestions