BSBI Distribution Database > message board

records missing from map

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

records missing from map

by Angus » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:28 pm

My vc100 records for Narcissus agg. are mostly missing from the map (zoomable) though all present in DDb. A few (less than half) of the Arran ones are there, but none from Bute or the Cumbraes.
Angus

name: Angus Hannah

Re: records missing from map

by admin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Angus,

I can't recreate this problem - the results appear to be fine when I view them. Please could you list a couple of grid-squares that are missing when you view the map, so that I can try to pin down what may have gone wrong.

thanks,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by Angus » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi Tom,
NS06 is the best example. There are no records on the map, but 18 in the DDb when I run a search for that square. Other hectads such as NS05, NS15 and NS04 are also missing most of their records on the map.
Angus
Angus

by Angus » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Tom,
I should add that I am looking at the maps on the BSBI maps tab, not directly from the search (view as zoomable map) tab.
Angus
Angus

by admin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:42 pm

The map for NS06 is showing data for me:
Screenshot 2017-02-01 12.30.15.png
Screenshot 2017-02-01 12.30.15.png (1.84 MiB) Viewed 8190 times

Might you possibly be viewing a map for 'Narcissus' rather than 'Narcissus agg.' which doesn't include any data for that square?

Incidentally, what taxa other than 'Narcissus' should be included in 'Narcissus agg.'. The DDb currently has no non-Narcissus components for this aggregate - suggesting that possibly the entry is superfluous and ought to be merged with the unqualified version of the genus. There have been problems with different ways of designating records at genus-level - sometimes in other recording software such records are marked as explicit aggregates, whereas the DDb's conventional treatment of aggregates would apply the 'agg.' suffix to a genus only if the grouping included multiple different genera in the aggregate.
Tom Humphrey
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by Angus » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Tom,
Yes, quite right! I was looking at 'Narcissus'. I had not appreciated how the distinction was drawn in DDb. My assumption was that Narcissus agg. was an aggregate of all Narcissus taxa, in the same way as Euphrasia agg. and Hieracium agg. etc., include everything within the genus, since this is the usage in Mapmate where my records were generated, and so I supposed it was equivalent to the generic Narcissus. I see that generic aggregates might arise, especially where a genus has been split or is compounded of several formerly separate genera. I am not competent to say whether anything of this nature has happened in the case of Narcissus.

Thanks for clearing this up.
Angus
Angus

by admin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi Angus,

Glad that's sorted out.

I suspect that the dual 'Narcissus agg.'/'Narcissus' entries are a mistake, I'll investigate further. If they are then I'll link the two entries, so that occurrences of Narcissus agg. will merge automatically into Narcissus in the DDb (this is done automatically for many of MapMate's genus aggregates).
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

Return to Bugs and suggestions