BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Records from date before recorder was born

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

Records from date before recorder was born

by AndyAmphlett » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:53 am

Hi Tom,

the 'my county' tab already highlights records where 'Based on known or inferred dates of death of recorders or determiners, records may have incorrect dates (in the wrong BSBI date class)'. Could this be extended to highlight records from a date before the recorder or determiner was born?

I came across this example - http://bsbidb.org.uk/search.php#query=6 ... dbb7087e53. 4 records by Alf Slack from the 19th Century, but he was born in 1913.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Re: Records from date before recorder was born

by admin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:55 am

Hi Andy,

The reason I'd avoided doing that so far was that there is quite extensive misuse of the 'recorder' field to store other roles. Often the name of the compiler of a data set or a publication author ends up in this field. That's obviously still an error, but understanding what has gone wrong is often quite unclear (whereas the date-of-death constraint is clear-cut).

(however, with the 'determiner' field, your suggestion would work well and would be good to have)

I'll add search options to look for date-of-birth errors and see how useful the results are.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: Records from date before recorder was born

by AndyAmphlett » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:22 am

Thanks Tom.

A partial solution that DDb users might like to try out is to run a query for their vc, grouped by 'Recorder fullname' and subdivided by 'date range (min/max date)'. Download the results to a spreadsheet and take min year away from max year and look for improbable spans of years that a recorder was apparently active. Running this for vc94, the first oddity I noted was a record by McClintock, D.C. from pre-1860 (he was born in 1913). Presumably he was actually the compiler of the record.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Return to Bugs and suggestions