BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Incorrect verification dates

Please report any problems with the website. Suggestions for changes are also very welcome.

Incorrect verification dates

by jdsh » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:33 pm

Running the validation query for my county (vc29) http://bsbidb.org.uk/search.php#retriev ... 16a8b14c8e I get two hybrid records compiled by Pearman, D. The text above the query suggests that he is dead, and the query implies that he died in 1959. I think there is good evidence that this is not the case! Methinks there is a bug.

Jon
jdsh

name: Jon Shanklin

Re: Incorrect verification dates

by admin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi Jon,

The query description, which refers to 'recorder' is misleading. Hovering over the '-1959' warning in the search results indicates that the conflict is with the date-of-death of the determiner, G.M. Ash who died in 1959.

Screenshot 2016-10-31 16.43.47.png
Screenshot 2016-10-31 16.43.47.png (8.66 KiB) Viewed 6590 times

I'll modify the description of the query to make it less ambiguous.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by jdsh » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:15 am

I added additional information to one of the records (the actual recorder and date of observation for the TL65 record), but this doesn't seem to show when I view the record and it still shows up as incorrect.
jdsh

by admin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:29 am

Hi Jon,

It's not at all obvious why this didn't work. A replacement copy (edited by you) was saved but was identical to the original, there are no errors logged on the server. The record description posted back to the server during the save was also identical to the original - so as far as the server-side code was concerned everything worked correctly.

Please could you you try editing the record again, as I'd like to see if the error is repeatable.

thanks,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by jdsh » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:38 pm

I've done a repeat edit. The record in the vc29 online flora has:
Ditton Park Wood, Misses Butler & Neils, 2.8.1952, det. GM A(sh), CGE.
jdsh

by admin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:03 am

Hi Jon,

I'm not quite sure what is happening with this edit. Your second attempt did at least add a determination date (2/8/1952) - though I think you intended to edit the record date instead.

There is already a record that matches your Butler & Neils description here:

http://bsbidb.org.uk/object.php?objecti ... nchstamp=0

Both are from the same data source ('Hybrid Epilobium records (VPDB:dataset:757)'), so I wonder if the 1989 record is actually meant to be a different occurrence (perhaps documenting a refind of the 1952 record?) and has been wrongly ascribed with the same determiner.
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

Return to Bugs and suggestions