BSBI Distribution Database > message board

User Manual

Any queries about using the BSBI database

User Manual

by bobwardell » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:51 am

Hi
Thanks for so swiftly dealing with my DDB access request,
unfortunately the user manual is in .docx format
I do not own the lastest version of Office - would It be possible to save it for download in multiple or other formats like .doc (Word 2003) or even .pdf
Thanks
Bob
bobwardell

name: Bob Wardell

Re: User Manual

by AndyAmphlett » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:26 pm

Bob,

A pdf of the User Manual came be downloaded from Google Drive at - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ploz5 ... oVR8kNbq_Q It has not been updated since 2015, but contains plenty of ideas to get you started.

Tom,

I thought the DDb copy of the manual was in pdf format, but the Word document downloads. Maybe best to make the pdf available?

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

by bobwardell » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:08 am

Sorry guys - the stated pdf download on the DDB only downloads as .docx and I also note that search downloads for Excel are also only in .xlsx format not .xls
Bob
bobwardell

by admin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:54 am

Sorry for the slow reply. I've changed the [url=/usermanual]DDb user manual link[/url] to a pdf.

The xlsx download format issue for search results is more problematic to resolve. You could download the results as a csv file, which should open in earlier versions of Excel, but that has some pitfalls, it's important when opening the file to set most columns to text (particularly dates) to avoid Excel mangling them.

It might be worth considering downloading a free office software package such as LibreOffice, which is able to reliably work with XLSX spreadsheets (and also DOCX). That could be installed alongside your current MS Office package, the two can happily co-exist. I have both LibreOffice and MS Office installed on my laptop and for most spreadsheet work I prefer LibreOffice.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by bobwardell » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:18 am

Thanks for help and the tips
Bob
bobwardell

Return to Help and support