BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Indicia - Taraxacum species records

Any queries about using the BSBI database

Indicia - Taraxacum species records

by AndyAmphlett » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:37 am

I note that the Indicia datasets include a number of records for Taraxacum species - https://database.bsbi.org/search.php#re ... 466da466b4. A few are records by, or determined by known experts, but others (as far as I am aware) not.

There are 27 records of Taraxacum polyodon Dahlst. (Common Dandelion). One of these was determined by an expert. Almost all the others, when examined, were entered into the database as 'Common Dandelion'. I assume the recorder just meant 'a' Dandelion, ie the agg. I have marked those 26 records as needing to be checked, with an explanatory note. If relevant VCRs know otherwise, please feel free to apply their own validation state.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Re: Indicia - Taraxacum species records

by admin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks for highlighting this. Is "Common Dandelion" a sensible vernacular name to use for this species - it seems unhelpful and confusing. I could ask for the vernacular name to be deleted from iRecord.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: Indicia - Taraxacum species records

by AndyAmphlett » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Tom,

"Common Dandelion" seems a very unhelpful vernacular name. I suggest it is removed from iRecord.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

Return to Help and support