BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Searches not working

Any queries about using the BSBI database

Searches not working

by welshofficer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi Tom,

I'm having an annoying problem today. I can do one search, but if I wish to alter something and repeat the search the "display results" button doesn't work. Nothing happens. It flickers slightly as I click it but there is no "loading" and I do not get any more results.

I assume this isn't applying to everyone but it's really annoying! If I click "search" or open a new tab, I can again do one search, but not alter it and display results again.

Thanks,
Polly
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

Re: Searches not working

by admin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi Polly,

does forcing a reload of the page (ctrl+R) resolve the problem?
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by welshofficer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Not really - that appears to reload the original search but not an altered version. Still to run another search I have to go back to a blank search form.
welshofficer

by admin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Please try the ctrl-R reload again, I've pushed an updated file that should resolve the problem. (for some reason your browser is caching an out-of-date file, the change should force it to reload properly)
Tom Humphrey
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by welshofficer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:45 pm

No, it's not working at all. For example, I searched for Viola lactea in Anglesey, clicked display results and there we are, 69 records. However, change it to V. riviniana, and I can't click display results again.

If I do ctrl-R (or click the reload button by the web address box), it reloads the V lactea search, and I still can't click display results (whether I change anything or not).

I'm in Chrome.
welshofficer

by welshofficer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 pm

It works normally in Internet Explorer. But I was on the phone to Ian Bonner this morning and his seemed to be working normally in Chrome.
welshofficer

by admin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Please could you try with a fresh copy of the search form (i.e. click on 'search' on the menu bar). I think the reloads aren't working properly for search pages that already have filled-in search data ('#' in the page url can interfere with refreshing the page).
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by welshofficer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:53 pm

No. I opened a new fresh search form, searched for Thelypteris palustris in Anglesey, fine, 45 records. Added a restriction (date from 2000) and I can't "display results". Reloaded it and the date restriction goes away, and I still can't display results again.

I'll use Explorer for now, which is working fine...
welshofficer

by admin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Sorry, part of the problem is the change I thought I'd made a couple of posts back didn't go through. A hard refresh of a new search form will probably solve the problem now.

I think you were unlucky with browser caching, this isn't a widespread problem.
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by welshofficer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Oh yes, that seems to be working now!

Thanks,

Polly
welshofficer

Return to Help and support