BSBI Distribution Database > message board

"new" taxa for MapMate

Any queries about using the BSBI database

"new" taxa for MapMate

by welshofficer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi Tom,

If we have a taxon (e.g. hybrid Hymenophyllum, or Dove-tree Davidia) which is not found in MapMate, what is the best way forward? For example, is it a good idea to enter a different taxon in MapMate and then edit it on the DDB?

I'm not sure when we might expect more updates with new names to be put on MapMate without Bob...

Thanks,

Polly
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

Re: "new" taxa for MapMate

by admin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi Polly,

I generally suggest that people send records to me as a spreadsheet for direct import to the DDb if MapMate doesn't include the required name (or, alternatively, that they enter the record into the DDb themselves). Entering a placeholder record in MapMate and then editing would also be fine, but would lead to divergence between MapMate and the DDb - I'm not sure how much that matters.

I don't anticipate significant disruption to MapMate taxon revisions after Bob retires. The current plan is that I take on responsibility for periodically compiling and forwarding taxon change requests from BSBI. The additions and amendments requested would be reviewed by Kevin (who would consult more widely if necessary).

As is currently the case, we'd allow fairly broad latitude for names included in the DDb (with the proviso that names must be validly published), with greater scrutiny of the names to be added to MapMate, to avoid flooding it with too many taxonomically suspect entries. (in part this distinction is necessary because the DDb is better able to flexibly accommodate and revise synonymy).

I'd be happy to begin to accumulate name requests for MapMate (I plan to set up an issue-tracking system for this soon).
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: "new" taxa for MapMate

by welshofficer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks,

Is entering records into the DDB acceptable, and how? I assume it is simply going to New -> Record and entering details as required. Should the target workspace for example be changed (it begins as default with BSBI public data set and I wondered if I should change it to Welshofficer's workspace for me. Or will people with fewer admin privileges be automatically defaulted to their own workspace?

Davidia involucrata and Hymenophyllum tunbrigense x wilsonii are the two species that were mentioned this week - would you like me to email those separately or could we just use this thread?

Thanks,

Polly
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

Return to Help and support