BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Dataset without place names

Any queries about using the BSBI database

Dataset without place names

by welshofficer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:56 am

This is not specifically a DDB query but might be relevant to others, and I would appreciate supporting advice.

A dataset has been provided which does not have sitenames. There are 10-figure grid references and monads, and it covers much of a county, for one genus. There are several hundred records.

The county recorder intends to import this to MapMate, for syncing to the DDB. The question is, what should we do about the site names? I can think of three options (assuming the original recorder doesn't have the data somewhere, which I am going to ask):
1. use the monad GR as a site name
2. use the VCR's "standard" monad names
3. use the county name as a site name.

I'm tempted to do 3, which is the simplest, but also avoids including any further potentially erroneous information. The county recorder is concerned that he has always been told to use site names, and would also like to avoid creating unnecessary sites (in fact I think for the common species he would prefer to use the 4-figure to 10-figure grid references, while I would suggest we keep all the details available).

Does anyone agree with me or have a good argument as to which option we should use?

Thanks,

Polly
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

Re: Dataset without place names

by admin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:05 am

Hi Polly,

I agree with you that county as sitename would be the best option and that precise grid-references should be retained for all records (including common species).

I think the worst option would be to assign 'standard' monad names, as you note, this can give false veracity to records that might have grid-reference errors.

If the site naming issue makes this data-set hard to use in MapMate then I'd be very happy to import it directly into the DDb.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

Re: Dataset without place names

by welshofficer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 am

False veracity, that is the word! I will meet with the original recorder next week and maybe he'll be able to help. If he is unable to provide original names I will encourage the county as a name and full grid references.

I'll let you know if we need further help.

Thanks!
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

Return to Help and support