BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Creating new bounded areas?

Any queries about using the BSBI database

Creating new bounded areas?

by welshofficer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:32 pm

I thought I'd see if anyone is using this - or perhaps at the moment its just another way of sending a message to Tom!

Is it possible to create a new bounded area to search for records? Perhaps to import from an Arc/ MapInfo file, or the possibility to draw it in a Google-type mapping environment? I think Tom may have said that it was last Friday but I can't find how - any information welcomed.

Thanks

Polly
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

Re: Creating new bounded areas?

by admin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi Poly,

Thanks for testing the message board!

I hope to be able to let people upload gis files via the website soon, but the upload forms needed aren't yet finished.

In the meantime anyone who needs to work with a particular boundary or set of boundaries can email them to me and I'll be happy to upload them directly to the server.

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by welshofficer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Ok - thanks. What sort of files would be best (this is in a theoretical case at the moment) - Arc? (.shp) MapInfo (.tab)? or there's something called .gpx (I think) that my gps seems to use - was wondering if this is more universal.

Polly
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

by admin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm not sure about GDX (I can't find much info about the format so far). .shp and .tab files are definitely usable.

Internally I'm using the OGR2OGR utility to do conversions, so at least in principle most of the formats on this list should be fine, but ShapeFiles or MapInfo formats are probably the best option where possible.
Tom Humphrey
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

by admin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Have just reread your post - will look for .gpx not gdx now... :roll:

GPX should be usable, but I've not tested it all. If you have any boundary data in that format that I could use as a try-out then that could be interesting.

Tom
Tom Humphrey
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

Return to Help and support