BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Searching for Pteridophytes

Any queries about using the BSBI database

Searching for Pteridophytes

by jimmcintosh » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi,
1. I'd like to search for all Pteridophytes in a given area. But If I begin typing in "Ferns" in the taxon field the DDb will recognise it and display "Ferns=Pteridophyta" in blue highlight. If you then enter (It displays "Ferns") and do a search it returns no records - even for areas where I definitely know they exist.

2. I'd like to display a list of species similar to that generated by The Gridref Lookup Tool "View detailed Taxon list" for a specified hectad but only of fern and fern ally species - so we might try to entice BPS members to help plug Atlas 2020 Pteriophyte record gaps.

Can you help please?
Thanks,
Jim
jimmcintosh

name: Jim McIntosh

Re: Searching for Pteridophytes

by AndyAmphlett » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:02 am

Jim,

as an interim, this query works to answer your Point 1:

http://bsbidb.org.uk/search.php#query=e ... d525606a28

It searches for taxa within each of the Families "Adiantaceae Aspleniaceae Azollaceae Blechnaceae Davalliaceae Dennstaedtiaceae Dicksoniaceae Dryopteridaceae Equisetaceae Hymenophyllaceae Isoetaceae Lycopodiaceae Marsileaceae Ophioglossaceae Osmundaceae Polypodiaceae Pteridaceae Selaginellaceae Thelypteridaceae Woodsiaceae". I obtained the list from the MapMate taxon dictionary, though MM differs in its spelling of Marsileaceae; the query uses the correct (DDb) spelling.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

by jimmcintosh » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:43 am

Ah, Thank you Andy!

I didn't realise you could have multiple entries in the taxon field. That is useful and less cumbersome that adding loads of individual taxon fields.

Jim
jimmcintosh

name: Jim McIntosh

by AndyAmphlett » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:57 pm

You can copy and paste a list of taxon names or grid refs into their respective fields. There appears to be no limit on the number of entries that can be pasted into a query. Very useful.

See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=290#p800

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

by Natalie Harmsworth » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:09 pm

Thank you. I was about to ask how to search for all fern records for an area as when I searched for the taxon "Pteridophyta" it resulted in a null result.
Natalie Harmsworth

name: Natalie Harmsworth

Return to Help and support