BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Maps

Any queries about using the BSBI database

Maps

by welshofficer » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:11 pm

I've just been trying to make a map of a species in a vice-county, and it ends up looking a little odd. Especially using monad markers (but even tetrads) for a coastal species, the markers are cut in half by the coastline. I can see this looks good for hectads but with small markers I'd prefer them to overlap the sea a little, as otherwise they almost disappear. Is this something that I can change, or can be changed?
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

Re: Maps

by welshofficer » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:05 pm

Also, is it just me, or are the maps (printable ones still) really really slow?
welshofficer

by admin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:02 am

Hi Polly,

It's meant to be possible to modify the way map clips markers at boundaries. Unfortunately it looks as though changes I made earlier this year, intended to simply some of the options, have inadvertently removed the easy way to do this. I'll reinstate the old option, but meanwhile it can be done in a kludgy way by specifying a square to map, and turning off clipping on the county boundary itself.

To do this, under the printable map's 'areas and boundaries' tab:
Screenshot 2015-09-28 09.31.26.png
Screenshot 2015-09-28 09.31.26.png (40.8 KiB) Viewed 7013 times

untick 'clipping' on the county boundary

That will initially change the map display to the whole British Isles - which is obviously useless. To show just the county, add a second 'grid-square' boundary (click the green + button on the boundary list and set the type of new boundary to 'grid-square'). The area needs to be specified using gridrefs for the SW and NE corners. e.g.

Screenshot 2015-09-28 09.38.53.png
Screenshot 2015-09-28 09.38.53.png (34.53 KiB) Viewed 7013 times

The printable maps are slower than would be ideal, but to some extent it may be possible to improve things by reducing the amount of data to plot. In particular if you want a single county then use a map generated from search results rather than a nationwide one from the taxon maps page, and run the search for only the area you need (it's possible that this is what you're doing anyway). The problem otherwise with a county-clipped nationwide map is that generated image includes the data points for the whole country even though they are hidden.

There are obviously many improvements needed with the maps. More work will be done on them, but it can be a matter of priorities and the map software has already had a lot of time spent on it.

regards,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by welshofficer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks! It may be that my computer is struggling at the moment (lots of errors, need to get something sorted with it) so might be slower than for other people.

Is it possible on these message boards to set them to send an email when someone replies to your original message?
welshofficer

by admin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:55 am

It would be good to know if the speed problem is more widespread - my internet connection is quite fast so I may have a somewhat distorted view of how the DDb works in the real world.

To get reply notifications, there's a tick-box near the bottom of the page 'subscribe topic'.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by welshofficer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:53 pm

I appear to be subscribed but I have not received any notifications. And I've just checked my email address. Most of the DDB seems to work fast and well for me. Zoomable maps are quite acceptable. It's just the printable ones that really cause me trouble, and also when accessing the county summaries it takes a long time for those maps to load.
Thanks!
Polly
welshofficer

Return to Help and support