BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Updating of the 'maps database'.

Any queries about using the BSBI database

Updating of the 'maps database'.

by FJRoberts » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:16 pm

With the exception of the inevitable loose ends, I've now mostly got the existing records for `Trichophorum cespitosum s.s.' sorted.

Could you explain (or direct me to where it's explained) how and when the updated record-set gets 'fed' to the mapping facility so that the map reflects the data-set?

Grateful thanks for advice on this aspect.
FJRoberts

name: Jeremy Roberts

Re: Updating of the 'maps database'.

by AndyAmphlett » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Jeremy,

if you run a query to view all records of T. cespitosum s.s. and then click on zoomable map, you will see the correct distribution map. The distribution map for this species from the 'Maps' tab is erroneous. I am not sure what it is displaying, but if you click on a grid square and run a search that way, it displays that it is searching for 's.s.' which doesn't mean anything on its own. Maps are (or were when I enquired a while back), updated daily.

So looks like a bug (?) which Tom will no doubt fix when he has the chance.

Andy.
AndyAmphlett

name: Andy Amphlett

by admin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks for reporting the problem. It looks like yet another map caching/refresh problem (which is meant to happen every night).

I'll get this sorted out over the weekend.
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by admin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:46 pm

The maps are showing correctly now. The fault would have meant that maps of taxa with name qualifiers (s.s. / s.s. etc.) were not showing the up-to-date version - the system was mangling the taxon name and consequently failing to match-up the request with a frequently renewed copy of the data - instead old results appeared (from early January in this case). Maps should refresh automatically each night - to see absolutely current results immediately, run a search for the taxon using the search page rather than via the maps tab.

Thanks very much for reporting the problem.

regards,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by FJRoberts » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Excellent - many thanks for that, Tom! J.
FJRoberts

name: Jeremy Roberts

Return to Help and support