BSBI Distribution Database > message board

Atlas 2020 tetrad coverage in a vc

Any queries about using the BSBI database

Re: Atlas 2020 tetrad coverage in a vc

by admin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks, I'm glad it's useful.

Polly's back now so 'Welsh Officer' is her username :)
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by welshofficer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:08 pm

I very much like the "My County" report pages, but do find the Atlas 2020 survey coverage tab in particular to be very slow - to the point that sometimes it doesn't seem to load at all.
welshofficer

name: Polly Spencer-Vellacott

by VCR111 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Having just run the query 'records where grouped by tetrad and counting distinct species and recorded since 2000 and vice-county', for VC111, I notice that the taxon total per tetrad is in many cases LESS than the result of the same query run last year for the period ending 2015. Mostly the discrepancy is 1- 4, but in a few cases more than 10. Examples are HY40M and 40N. I have not altered the records for these tetrads since last year. Before I start to delve further, is there an easy explanation?

On a related matter, on running the the Grid reference look-up query explained by Jim in last June's BSBI News, to view the taxon list for pre-2000 and post-1999 records for the relevant grid square, the only list to show is that for the hectad not the tetrad, regardless of which is entered in the search box. Is this fixable?

John
VCR111

name: John Crossley

by admin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi John,

At some point a change was made to exclude records recorded at above genus level from counting in the summary (which was meant to include only species), it's possible that that accounts for the discrepancy. e.g. in HY40M there are records for 'Taraxacum agg.', 'Hieracium agg.' and 'Euphrasia' that might previously have counted as species for the purposes of the summary results.

Please could you post the address (url) one of the pages that is showing hectad rather than tetrad results, as I'm not sure exactly what type of search you're referring to.

thanks,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Database Officer, Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI)
c/o Centre for Ecology and Hydrology,Maclean Building, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8BB, UK.
tom.humphrey@bsbi.org
admin

name: Tom Humphrey

by VCR111 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:52 pm

http://bsbidb.org.uk/gridref.php?ref= However, it does seem to be working now. I was getting a hectad list when typing in a tetrad.

Thanks for explanation of species total.

John
VCR111

name: John Crossley

Previous

Return to Help and support